Tonight we attempted the first recipe from our Tom Kerridge cookbook and decided to give the satay chicken a go with cucumber salad.
Okay so this recipe serves: 2 people
Calories: 235 per serving
2 chicken breasts
For the marinade:
15g galgangal root finely chopped
2 lemongrass stems finely sliced
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp fish sauce
2cm piece of fresh turmeric root chopped
1 long red chilli sliced
1 shallot chopped
Juice from 1 lime
For the satay sauce:
1 tsp crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp boiling water
1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp agave
1 tsp light soy sauce
120g cucumber, diced
1. For the marinade, blitz all the ingredients together in a small food processor until smooth.
2. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Slash the breast of the chicken and place on the lined tray. Spread the marinade over both sides of the chicken and rub into the slashes. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
3. When you’re ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to fan 100°C/. Cook the chicken on the middle shelf for 1 hour, then remove. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C.
4. When the oven is hot, roast the chicken on the top shelf for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and wave a cooks blowtorch over the surface until charred and blackened in places. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, put the ingredients for the satay sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then take off the heat.
6. Serve with the crunchy cucumber salad and satay sauce alongside.
We obviously didn’t use a blowtorch (who even has one of them?!) but apart from that, this recipe was super quick and easy to make once the marinade was done. We served ours with some fluffy jasmine rice on the side and some toasted pita breads too so the calories would have been more than what the recipe states.
Out of 5 stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (didn’t like the peanut sauce, tasted just like peanut butter and possibly needed a bit more of a spicy kick to it!)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know if you decide to give it a go. We’re excited to try lots more recipes from the book!
Lots of love,