417 calories per portion including the vegetables used to serve.
Cottage pie really isn’t something I’ve ever particularly been a fan of, nor is it something I’ve eaten a lot of in my life. Tazmyn and I are both not the biggest fans of mince unless it’s in a chilli or lasagne, so cottage pie hasn’t been something we’ve cooked before until now that is. I saw this sweet potato version in a magazine recently and really wanted to try it! I absolutely love sweet potato and it’s a healthier carb option for pretty much any meal!
Ingredients you’ll need:
🌸 500g lean beef mince
🌸 1 large onion finely chopped
🌸 I pack of sliced mushrooms
🌸 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
🌸 1 handful of frozen peas
🌸 3 tablespoons of tomato purée
🌸 2 beef stock cubes
🌸 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
🌸 1 bag of sweet potatoes
🌸 sugar snap peas to serve (any vegetable you like!)
🌸 sweetcorn to serve (optional)
1. Peel your sweet potatoes, and dice them up. Boil until soft.
2. Fry your mince in fry light until brown, drain away the fat (there will be hardly any!)
3. Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms until softened.
4. Pour in your beef stock, tomato purée, and Worcestershire sauce along with some salt and pepper to season, then add your frozen peas. Let this simmer on a medium heat until it becomes thicker in texture.
5. Mash your sweet potatoes with some low fat spread, and salt and pepper.
6. Spoon the mince mix into a oven proof dish (we used individual ramekins) and cover with your sweet potato mash.
7. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
8. Serve with your vegetables!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, let me know if you give it a go or how you make yours! ✨
• Follow me on Twitter & Instagram •